Using Email to Grow
A 3-week Intensive
About One Mill School Intensives
We ran an experimental intensive in August 2021 with a group of dedicated small business owners and it was a HUGE success. In the span of a few weeks, business owners made progress in tangible ways, connected with peers + experts, and walked away with tools for even more growth down the road. Now, we're bringing the format to One Mill School as a quarterly offering. Read on for details about what's covered, when it will take place, and reviews from participants. If you want to take part, you can join by applying to One Mill School now!
What it is
What's different about this Intensive:
- You’ll leave with real changes in your business.
Rather than teaching you things that you THEN need to go do yourself, we're going to actually DO the things together so that you leave with concrete, effective, important things implemented in your business.
- We’ll do it together.
Rather than a course that you do on your own, we're going to work through most elements of the Intensive together, in real time.
- You’ll be both an expert and a learner.
Rather than having all the content come from an expert, the series will help you access your own insights, offer crucial contributions to your peers, benefit from the expertise in the group, as well as gain specific knowledge and expertise from your guides.
What you'll learn:
You'll gain strategies for building + tending your email list and build smart automations + elegant tech setups.
- Choosing and setting up the right email marketing tool for you.
- Starting a simple newsletter cadence for consistent, manageable connection with your list.
- Designing automations and sequences for efficient workflows.
- Using segments, groups, and tags to send relevant, targeted messages to your community.
- How to grow your list and power-up your email outreach.
What small business owners saying:
This course was a great reminder that I needed to put my checks and balances in place with my email list, making sure my flows (event emails) are not wonky, and learning new and different ways to be more of a host to my email list.
This is the perfect fit if you are:
- Interested in using email to grow your business and engage your community.
- Ready to set up new email practices and systems in your business.
- Needing guidance, support, accountability, and inspiration.
What you get:
- Dedicated and protected time to make progress on things that matter for your growth.
- Community, inspiration, support, and connections with other inspiring business owners.
- Access to experts and special guest speakers on these topics.
- New skills and tools to build on and use over and over into the future.
- A safe space to hear your own wisdom about your business and hear the wisdom of peers and mentors.
- And you'll leave the Intensive with:
- 30 days of thoughtful email newsletters/missives planned to engage and grow your community
- 2-3 effective automations set up in your email marketing software
- All the nuts-and-bolts of your website, email marketing software, and segments architected and connected.
How to take part + your commitment:
- This intensive is open to One Mill School Members starting Fall Quarter, 2021. Complete your 7-minute application now!
- Attend all three sessions on 10/11, 10/18, 10/25 (full dates and times below.)
- Complete prework and homework in advance of each session.
- Participate actively in the sessions: speaking, sharing, and contributing as well as listening, learning, and processing.
Your Peers & Guides
You’ll be in great company in this course and will be well supported. Emily Kerr-Finell (One Mill School founder) will be the main guide for the course. We’ll also bring in guest speakers and experts. And of course, your peers will be a wealth of guidance and knowledge as they share their experiences growing high-level businesses.
More of what others are saying:
I didn't even think about automations before. Now I'm armed with the skills to create them for my business to build my brand and create more opportunities to show my personality and nurture loyalty!
I am excited to work on emails - who would have thought! And now I have more responses from people than ever before, emailing me back and saying how much they love my emails.
I have such a better understanding of sequence emails and feel like I have a substantive approach to setting up and using them, and how they can work in conjunction with the email newsletters.
Dates and Times
- Submit your application to One Mill School by 9/22 to be considered for the Fall 2021 quarter. Check that page for all of the upcoming quarterly dates (like when you'll hear back and when the new quarter begins).
- 10/11 through 10/25 - The Intensive starts Monday 10/11, but plan on 1-2 hours of prework in the days before.
- Monday 10/11 12pm-2pm ET. Zoom Session 1.
- Monday 10/18 12pm - 2pm ET. Zoom Session 2.
- 10/19-10/24. Invest 2-4 hours of implementation homework (per your own plan so scope is up to you). We support you via email or call with questions and issues.
- Monday 10/25 12pm - 2pm ET. Zoom Session 3.
These values govern everything we do -- from how we respond to our customers to how we hire and what projects we take on:
Integrity comes first.
Overcommunication is good communication.
People over process, profit, or product.
Strength comes from responding, adapting, experimenting, and doing a lot with a little.
We’re professionals -- internally and externally.
We bring our true selves to the work.
A Bit of Background
One Mill School is a comprehensive training and community program for creative small business owners. We welcomed our first members in October, 2020. You can see our current offering at www.onemillschool.com. We have been honored and excited to have such a successful group of members and so many successes within this community. That said, we’re also in a process of reflecting on how to serve our folks even better. This program is a part of that exploration.
With this program in particular, we’ve returned to our deepest sources of inspiration: the pedagogy of liberation of bell hooks and Paolo Friere; Montessori education; and heaps of conversations with the people we serve.
You can follow along on the process of reimagining and reshaping what we do at One Mill School on Instagram @onemillschool and on our email list.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at One Mill School
Our intention is that One Mill School be a vibrant, antiracist, equitable, diverse, inclusive place. The foundations of that vision are our intention, our inquiry within our own practices, and the education and training we prioritize. This is an open and ongoing exploration and right now, these are some of the active things we do to build towards this vision:
- Work with coaches (Project Deviate!) to guide our team's inquiry, conversation, and education around antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Donate to social justice organizations that resonate with the work we do and who we are.
- Convene Mentors with diverse voices, backgrounds, and experiences, and ensure that their contributions are fairly compensated.
- Advance economic accessibility to our programs with an open scholarship program for anyone who faces significant obstacles to their growth as a creative business owner. (More here.)
- Prioritize diversity and underrepresented groups in outreach to and engagement of new Members.
- Be active in making One Mill School's spaces brave and safe for every person who is part of them (including how people are spoken about and to.)